Joystick Computerized Control
The primary design goal for the 40z was to create a 40 foot powerboat that would handle like a 30-footer at idle speeds in tricky docking situations. The new Volvo-Penta IPS or Yanmar joystick control technology makes this goal a reality. The IPS system works with twin pod drives under the hull and the Yanmar with twin sterndrives. When conventional twin-engine controls are in neutral, a single joystick takes over with fingertip control. There are no thrusters. Through a unique computer program, each drive unit is independently operated in terms of direction, rpm and forward-reverse gear. This new system works far more intuitively than conventional twin shaft drives or joystick/thruster operated jet drives.
Dynamic Positioning System (DPS) is standard with the Volvo-Penta IPS. This hovering or 'skyhook' feature is not yet available with the Yanmar sterndrive option.
-Side-opening doors (P&S) overcome a common problem, getting aboard or getting off when handling docklines.
- Single-level seating for as many as 15 at cocktail time or for a family picnic
- Roll-up side/aft curtains and fully-opening windshields to regulate airflow in the pilothouse to suit conditions.
- Large (60x78) island berth and separate shower in owner stateroom.
- Dinette converts to guest cabin with Pullman curtain for privacy.
- 40z can be trucked overland without penalty. Width doesn’t exceed 12 feet and height on a trailer is less than 13.5 feet.
How Fuel Efficient?
21 gallons per hour at 25 knots, or 1.2 nautical miles per gallon with standard twin 370 hp Volvo D6 diesels and IPS DuoProp 500 drives. By way of comparison: Power & Motor Yacht Magazine boat tests show the Sea Ray Sundancer 40 consumes 29 gph (.86 nmpg) at that speed, while a Cabo 40 or East Bay 45 consumes 37 gph (.68 nmpg). At $3/gal, that’s $1,110 on a 10-hour trip instead of the 40z's $630. Close to home, you’ll average 4-6 gallons per hour on fill-up… just $25 per hour of general use. That's quite remarkable for a powerboat of this size. The 40z carries 350 US Gallons of fuel.
- Twin Volvo-Penta IPS 500 (370 hp)
- Optional IPS 600 (435hp) or Yanmar 8LV (370hp) diesel sterndrives.
- Epoxy unidirectional tri-axial Kevlar/Corecell and Eglass hull and deck
- Joystick docking control with Volvo-Penta or Yanmar propulsion.
- 38 knots top speed
- Best fuel mileage- environmentally friendly 1.1-1.3 NMPG (20-30 kts).
- Convertible 3-stateroom sleeping for 6